6.29.2005

How it began ... I think

I am allergic to mold .. all molds. Not just one, or two or three .. but all eleven (11) mold species. And I am allergic to them ALL YEAR LONG. But I didn't always know I was allergic to molds. But come to find out I've been 'bothered' by molds all my life.

So where do I begin ... at the beginning of course.

I have been allergic to Penicillin since I was born. My mother was allergic to penicillin and sulfa drugs. So the doctors pretty well assumed that I would be as well. They tested me - and yes, I reacted: violently! I nearly died of anaphylactic shock when I was 3 and that pretty much nailed that problem. I began having problems with Strep-Throat when I was about 3.5 years old. I was administered an antibiotic that was both penicillin and sulfa based -- WOW -- that was NOT good. So that really nailed the door closed on any penicillin and sulfa drugs for me.

That I was so allergic to penicillin - and that penicillin is made from a mold extract - should have been a warning that me and mold might not mix well. But hey, that was the near 'dark ages' of medicine back in the late '50s. There were a lot of mistakes made then. And a lot of them being made today as well. But that is another story.

Now jump forward 47 years; to December 2002 to be exact. That was when I was noticing a 'problem'. An avid kayaker - doing roughly 1500 miles each year on the water - I had my share of 'water rash' incidents. But this was different. It wasn't going away. And because most of my paddling was in the Wabash River - not known as a pristine clean waterway - I was beginning to wonder if I had 'contracted' something in from the water.

I attempted to 'treat it' with the typical remedies: ointments, salves, cremes, and the like. I even resorted to taking some herbs that are to build the immune system. But nothing seemed to work. The 'itchy spot' became an 'itchy area' and then turned to an 'irritating zone' and finally an unbearable pain-in-the-arse .. LITERALLY!

I was at a real quandary. What to do? What was this anyway? More in my next installment.

MoldChron

No comments: